What is a toddler? From Wikipedia a toddler is a child between the ages of one and three and the toddler years are a time of great cognitive, emotional and social development. Well that is very true, toddler years are the most amazing and life changing period of a child’s and parent’s life. So what is my definition of a toddler? Here’s my top 10 definition!
10. A compact sized little being, aged one to three.
9. Able to make sounds reaching almost 3,000 decibels without even twitching an eyebrow.
8. Has the ability to ensure that at all meal times food will always land on the floor and none in the stomach or any where close to the mouth area
7. Has an energy level equivalent to 3,000 energizer batteries and able sing, dance, jump, hop, clap and eat all at the same time and all day long even minutes before going to bed. (see who is the real master at multi-tasking)
6. Wakes up at 4am in the morning to play or demand breakfast (usually milk) and repeats this routine at least 67973057 times before calling it quits (yes I am still battling with the 4 am night feed and I am going to win this battle, we have 58493878 times to go. Boy JJ you are real stubborn on this.)
5. Has the ability and the urge to pee and defecate on any possible surface and under any situations. (JJ defecated on a 1 day old car seat and the contents leaked out of his diapers and all over the new car seat. We had to make an emergency stop at a nearby mall to clean him and the car seat . Back home, while he was taking his nap, I had to dismantle the car seat and thoroughly clean the contents stuck inside.)
4. Giggles at the simplest things in life (when I say STARS with a smile and emphasis, JJ finds it amusing and gives us heaps of giggles)
3. Able to entice people (and of course pretty ladies in the case of JJ) to give hugs, kisses, winks and love freely to him
2. Plays pee-ka-poo with mummy before bed time. And will cuddle up to mummy and wink or smile at mummy moments before falling asleep. (cuddling is also common at 4am in the morning, not really the best time for cuddles, but I still love the warmth and love from JJ)
1. Able to do all of the above mentioned and repeating it 365 (or maybe more) times a year for the next 2 years.
I love number 2, 3 and 4 in particular about my toddler but it is the rest of the less glamorous, frustrating and angry moments that makes my toddler so special. Sometimes when I look back at the things that JJ had done, it is really funny and amazing in some ways (like point number 5) and it’s moments like these that I will miss most. Let’s see what the next 2 years has installed for both of us and probably this top 10 definitions will change by then.