Do it or not do it?

Over the weekend we brought JJ to visit a pediatric surgeon to seek an opinion if JJ needs circumcision. Since his first Urinary Tact Infection (UTI) attack when he was 5 months old, I have been in constant worry when he will have the next attack again and I am so afraid that he will fall real sick as this will lower his immune system which allows bacteria to attack him again.

We went to see an urology pediatric specialist on this before and ran an MCU test on him to ensure that JJ did not have any reflux issue. Hence after 2 specialist visits and numerous scans, it has been concluded that he has a foreskin contamination issue which led to his UTI attack. Now 8 months after his first attack, comes the time where I have to make the decision for him to remove the foreskin so that we can reduce the risks of having UTI related to foreskin contamination.

Pros of removing the foreskin

1. Reduce the risks of having UTI

2. It will be easier to bathe and keep him clean especially going to preschool or child care in 1.5 years time

3. At this young age, he is the most adaptable to changes and healing process is fastest for him

Cons of removing the foreskin

1. Losing a skin

2. Mummy will be the one crying and worrying heaps and spending time with a very cranky toddler ( the pediatric surgeon showed me photos of how things will be like after the surgery and the recovery process. There will be scabbing and redness at the “humming bird’ area for toddler of JJ’s age)

3. Same as number 2 but more worries on whether JJ will be able to adapt without the foreskin and if infections will set in due to the surgery.

4. May not 100% remove the possibility of having another UTI attack, well maybe in JJ’s case remove 80% of that chance happeninga again.

So do we do it or not do it? Maybe he won’t get any more UTI and what happened 8 months ago was an one off incident. But the possiblities of future infections are there and also seeing him shiver and rolling back his eyes when the UTI hits him plus the cranky 3 day stay in the hospital (not to mention the 2 months recovery process) was really tough on that little guy. Maybe we should circumsize him after all to prevent future attacks.

Ok JJ is having high fever as I’m writing this. Hope the fever won’t turn out to be UTI.

6 thoughts on “Do it or not do it?

  1. Good luck in your decision. I know a lot of people are vehemently anti-circumcision, but we chose to have our son circumcised at just under a year old based on some medical advice. When making the decision, it became apparent that the very earlier we could get it done, the better. He was totally fine within a few days. πŸ™‚

    • Hi there, I have decided to have my son circumcised. He happened to be running a fever now and I realize how worried I am that this fever could turn out to be an UTI episode again because he is drinking lesser water due to the fever. Hope after the surgery I will have one less worry and he will recover well. Thanks for encouragement.

      • Good luck! The anesthesia bit was the most stressful for us. The hospital let our little guy take all his “comfort objects” back with him – glad we brought a well-stocked diaper bag. πŸ™‚ He’ll do great, and hopefully this will solve the UTI issue and make life easier for him (and you guys!)

      • Hi there, thanks for the tips and encouragement. The surgeon told me about the anesthesia part, and I know I will cry when I see him struggle getting the anesthesia done. During his first UTI attack, I cried heaps when I saw the medical staffs pinned him down to get the IV needle into him. It was a terrible time for him and me. Hence hopefully this circumcision will make things better for both of us.

      • We didn’t get to watch the anesthesia process – the anesthesiologist took him back. I was worried he would cry at being carried off by a strange man in green scrubs, but the guy was VERY kid friendly and Asher went right to him.

      • Great to hear that your kiddo was not traumatised by the medical staffs. Hope it will be the same for us on 16 August when JJ goes for his surgery. πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s